Ivy Tech Community College Fort Wayne has announced the three finalists for its 2020 New Venture Competition. The competition began in 2011, and this year’s champion will receive up to $20,000 in start-up capital for presenting the best business plan for his or her small business.
The finalists and their businesses are as follows:
- Hayley Grover, business administration student
Company: Sugar Coated Sweet Shoppe
- Jeffrey M. Sonner, engineering graduate
Company: Just-A-Little-Smoke BBQ
- Rolando Perez, visual communication graduate
- Company: Hoosier Box Artisan BBQ and Catering
The New Venture Competition awards will be held virtually Feb. 11 with competitors presenting live to an online panel of judges. Finalists will pitch their business plans, and community judges will vote on the New Venture champion at the event. The event will be held virtually in 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The competition has partnered with SCORE Northeast Indiana, a group that grows successful small businesses across the country. The group, made of volunteer experienced business owners and managers, will provide mentorship for the finalists.
The New Venture Competition is sponsored by JB Tool, Die & Engineering and owners Dave and Mary Bear.
The following individuals served as judges in determining the finalists:
- Steve Franks, local entrepreneur
- Carla Quickel, faculty at Ivy Tech Fort Wayne
- Alan Short, faculty at Ivy Tech Marion
- Rebecca Bishop, dean at Ivy Tech Fort Wayne