In fall 2018, Ivy Tech Community College’s Fort Wayne Campus will offer IvyLiving classes, non-credit personal enrichment classes geared toward diverse community interests. Nine IvyLiving courses will run from September through December.
IvyLiving will bring back popular topics including: canning, wine tasting, novice cooking instruction, artistic welding, and Thanksgiving baking classes. It will also feature four new courses exposing the community to ethnic food and culture, adult tap dancing, pasta making, and holiday cookie baking.
“We’re excited to offer our third year of IvyLiving courses and to continue connecting the community with our talented instructors,” says Aja Michael-Keller, director of marketing and events. “These courses give participants a chance to develop new skills and get a taste of what our students experience at Ivy Tech Fort Wayne.”
To learn more and sign-up for classes, visit IvyTech.edu/fortwayne/living.
Fall 2018 IvyLiving Schedule:
That’s My Jam: Canning and Food Preservation
- Ivy Tech Fort Wayne’s Agriculture Program Chair Kelli Kreider will lead you through all the steps you need to know to preserve seasonal foods for the whole year ’round. She’ll focus on canning and freezing fresh produce, jams, and jellies.
- Sept. 27 from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Cost: $75 (Registration Deadline Sept. 20)
Wine Tasting and Pairing
- Join WineTime owner, Jeff Armstrong, for a crash course in wine appreciation. You’ll taste wines from around the world and learn about the history, processing, and intricacies of the wine world. In your second class, you’ll pair wines with a one-of-a-kind meal created by Ivy Tech students.
- Sept. 27 and Oct. 4 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Cost: $125 (Registration Deadline: Sept. 20)
Ethnic Food in the Fort
- Are you a food lover? Looking to expand your palate? This is the class for you. We’ll meet at four local ethnic restaurants to share a meal and discuss that country’s culture and cuisine facilitated by an Ivy Tech Sociology instructor. Class will focus on Ethiopian, Burmese, El Salvadoran, and Middle Eastern food. Course fees include dinner costs.
- Oct. 3, 10, 17, and 24 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Cost: $150 (Registration Deadline: Sept. 26)
How to Boil Water
- Join Ivy Tech Fort Wayne chef Alishia Iddings for a class geared toward helping terrible cooks improve their skills. Learn the basics of knife techniques, kitchen and food safety, and key cooking methods to help you create delicious and healthy meals at home. Let us give you the confidence to take on the food processor and show the stove who’s boss.
- Oct. 11 and 18 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Cost: $125 (Registration Deadline: Oct. 4)
Artistic Welding–Holiday Treasures
- Watch the sparks fly during your two-class adventure in metalsmithing. Start with a beginner’s lesson on welding safety and techniques by Ivy Tech Fort Wayne certified welding instructor Brian Barnes. During the second class, you’ll be creating unique take-home art in the College’s modern welding lab.
- Oct. 13 and 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Cost: $125 (Registration Deadline: Oct. 6)
Adult Tap Dancing
- Veteran tap dancer Andrew Welch will share his 30+ years of tap experience in an upbeat class for adults only. Whether you’ve danced all your life, it’s been a few decades since you tied up your shoes, or you’re looking for a new way to stay fit, this class is for you. Students must provide their own tap shoes.
- Oct. 20 and 27 and Nov. 10 and 17 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Cost: $99 (Registration Deadline: Oct. 13)
- Impress your friends and family with homemade pasta at your next gathering. This class will mix, knead, shape, and cook traditional pasta as well as some artisan pastas with vibrant colors. You’ll leave with two pounds of handmade pasta and all the info you’ll need to make it yourself at home.
- Nov. 10 from 9 a.m. to noon
- Cost: $65 (Registration Deadline: Nov. 3)
- Hang out with other home-bakers and knock out all of your Thanksgiving baking in just a few hours under the direction of local pastry chef Amanda Parkinson. You’ll leave class with a fruit pie, pumpkin pie, and dinner rolls to serve to your family. Keep your kitchen clean for the turkey, and get the desserts out of the way early.
- Nov. 20 from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Cost: $65 (Registration Deadline: Nov. 13)
Holiday Cookies with the Littles
- Are the kiddos growing too fast? Take a Saturday and spend a few hours making messes and memories with your favorite littles. They’ll be impressed by our industrial kitchens, and you’ll love watching them bake and decorate a variety of cookies just in time for the holidays. They’re only little once. Take advantage, pull them away from their tablets, and get ready to laugh in Ivy Tech’s kitchens.
- Dec. 15 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Cost: $65 (Registration Deadline: Dec. 8)