The Building Construction Technology program at Ivy Tech Community College’s Fort Wayne Campus is partnering with more than 16 area high school and career center classes to build custom homes for northeast Indiana residents.
Participating high school students are enrolled in dual credit classes at Ivy Tech and receive high school credit as well as college credit for their classes. Most participating high schools have also adopted the College’s new National Center for Construction Education & Research curriculum. The curriculum is a nationally recognized construction certification program that embeds industry-recognized credentials to measure both knowledge and hands-on skill.
Many partnering building trades programs have been building homes with students for more than 25 years. These partnerships are especially important, with the impact of a broadening skills gap and shortage of workers in the construction industry looming.
“With the construction labor shortage in full swing, high school building trades programs provide an excellent avenue for developing interest in the building trades among young people,” says Ryan Voorhees, building construction technology program chair.
For most programs, students are on the jobsite daily; many are currently wrapping up roofing and siding in preparation for the coming winter weather. Throughout the winter and spring months, students will continue work inside their project houses to complete mechanical, electrical, plumbing, drywall, paint, cabinets, flooring, and more.
The following high schools and career centers are currently partnering with Ivy Tech:
- Central Noble High School in Albion
- Fairfield Junior-Senior High School in Goshen
- Fort Wayne Community School’s Career Academy in Fort Wayne
- Garrett High School in Garrett
- Heartland Career Center in Wabash
- Impact Institute in Kendallville
- Lakeland High School in LaGrange
- Mishawaka High School in Mishawaka
- Riley High School in South Bend
- Tippecanoe Valley High School in Akron
- Warsaw Community High School in Warsaw
- Wawasee High School in Syracuse