IPFW and Ivy Tech Break Ground for Parker Cole Crossing

Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) and Ivy Tech Community College Northeast held a groundbreaking ceremony this afternoon for the new Parker Cole Crossing bridge.
The Parker Cole Crossing bridge project has been in the works for approximately eight years, and is a collaboration between IPFW, Ivy Tech, and the Indiana Department of Transportation. The crossing bridge will connect IPFW and Ivy Tech Northeast, allowing students and faculty to safely walk or ride their bikes between campuses over Coliseum Boulevard. It will also connect to the Rivergreenway using campus sidewalks and roadways, providing an alternative route for those who enjoy the trail system.

“The Parker Cole Crossing bridge is a demonstration of our commitment to the future of our campus,” said IPFW Chancellor Vicky Carwein. “Values established by the university more than 50 years ago, including accessibility, collaboration, connection, and partnership, are highlighted by this project. The bridge also represents the generosity of foundations and private donors who continue to invest in our university, our students, and our community as a whole.”

The total cost of the project is approximately $4.5 million. INDOT is responsible for covering 80% of the cost and donations from the Olive B. Cole Foundation and Mac and Pat Parker will cover the remaining 20%.

“The Cole Foundation and our family are pleased to be a part of this project to provide a safe means of crossing for the hundreds of students taking courses at both Ivy Tech and IPFW,” said Mac Parker. “Also, I believe that the unique design of the bridge will call attention to the key role that both of these institutions play in the economic growth of our whole region.”

“The bridge is symbolic of the long-standing partnership between our institutions,” said Ivy Tech Northeast Chancellor Jerrilee K. Mosier, Ed.D. “It is our hope to continue building on this partnership to increase higher education attainment in northeast Indiana in the years to come.”

Construction of the bridge is expected to be completed in June 2018.

For more information, contact Kimberly Wagner, director of public relations, 260-481-4174 or kimberly.wagner@ipfw.edu.

Share a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s