The Ivy Tech Foundation at Ivy Tech Community College Northeast has received an endowed gift from Mike Hunnicutt and his family to establish the Jerin & Caleb Hunnicutt Memorial Scholarship.
Jerin and Caleb, Mike’s sons, were from Huntington County. Jerin, 28, died in his Huntington home in 2009; Caleb, 24, died in 2010 in Chicago, where he was living. Hunnicutt is funding the scholarship at Ivy Tech Northeast as a legacy for them. This fall, there will be a $500 scholarship available.
The criteria to receive the scholarship are as follows:
- The scholarship will be distributed to one who exhibits the greatest financial need and/or merit.
- The student should have a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- The student must be associate degree-seeking and enrolled in his or her second semester of program-level classes, or later. The student can also have completed one semester of study at any other college or university.
- Applicants must be a resident of Huntington County or have attended school there.
- The student should be 21 years or older. (preferred)
- The student should submit a 200- to 300-word essay discussing his or her community service, volunteerism, or good works. (preferred)
More details are available at IvyTech.edu/scholarships.